This is so delicious and has been a hit every time I’ve made it. It is really easy and looks very elegant when served. Great for overnight guests…
- 1 stick butter
- 1 brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 3granny smith apples
- cinnamon to taste
- 1/2 craisins, optional
- 1loaf french bread, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 sliced almonds, for garnish
- 1/2 whipping cream
- 1/2 sour cream
- 1/4 sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Combine butter, brown sugar & water in saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling stirring frequently.
- Pour this mixture into a 9×13″ pan and allow to cool 20-30 minutes.
- Place sliced apples over brown sugar mixture in bottom of the pan in rows close together, overlapping is fine.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg & raisins if desired.
- Place sliced bread on top of apples. Mix eggs, milk & vanilla and pour over bread.
- Cover & refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hrs. to let the bread thoroughly absorb the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until golden and crispy on top.
- Invert onto a platter for serving. If any apples stick you can remove them with a spatula and just arrange on top.
- The Creme topping is optional but delicious! Just whip all ingredients on high until thickened and serve a generous spoonful on top of each serving.