This thick and creamy vegan broccoli cheese soup recipe is loaded with “cheesy” goodness that will quench your craving for comfort food any night of the week. Kid-friendly, vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 18 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (For color, not heat)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (Or more to taste)
- 1- quart vegetable broth
- 2 lbs broccoli florets (Fresh or frozen)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Soak cashews in water for 1 hour, drain and discard water. Set aside.
- Add oil to a dutch oven and cook the diced onions for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cubed potatoes, thinly sliced carrots, a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Almost all of the water should be absorbed by now.
- Let mixture cool slightly before adding it to the food processor or high powered blender.
- Add vegetable broth, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast, cashews, salt, and pepper to the food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Note – If you don’t have a large blender, blend the soup in batches.
- Pour the soup back into the original pot and bring to a low simmer for 5-10 mins.
- You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this soup (cook it while the potatoes and carrots are cooking).
- After you steam or roast the broccoli, chop it up into bite-size chunks and add it to the soup.
- Garnish each bowl with parsley and a sprinkle of cayenne.