This Vegan Caesar Salad has it all: A creamy, cashew based dressing with roasted garlic, roasted chickpea croutons, and vegan parmesan cheese. A crowd-pleasing, life-giving salad recipe…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 2- 15-ounce cans chickpeas or 3 cups cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 cloves garlic, roasted *see instructions below
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon salt
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium heads of romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain chickpeas and dry slightly with a clean tea towel or paper towels, trying to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Add the chickpeas to a baking sheet with a rimmed edge (so they don’t roll off).
- Drizzle on the olive oil, and sprinkle with the seasonings and salt.
- Mix gently with your hands or a spatula in the pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Give them a little shake, and bake for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven.
- Roast the garlic at the same time the chickpea croutons are baking.
- Simply add the 4-5 cloves of garlic (still in their papery skins) to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until fragrant and softened inside.
- Remove to let cool.
- Soften your cashews by covering them in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- I do this by heating up water in my tea kettle, and then pour the boiling water of the cashews in a large measuring cup.
- Drain the cashews, and add to a blender. Now add the roasted garlic, 1 cup of water, lime juice, and salt to taste.
- Blend until very smooth and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender and pulse until crumbly.
- Store in the refrigerator, it will stay good for weeks and is excellent on pasta dishes like spaghetti or lasagna, and even for sprinkling on avocado toast.
- You will not need all of this for the salad.
Put it all together
- Add the washed and chopped romaine to a large salad bowl.
- Pour in the dressing and toss with the romaine.
- Top with the chickpea croutons and a good sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese.
- Serve with extra vegan parmesan cheese.