This vegan version of a classic recipe for easy, creamy slow cooker chicken wild rice soup is exactly what you want to eat on a chilly winter night. Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 4h 35 minutes ]
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans of jackfruit in brine (rinsed and drained well)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice (or wild rice blend, rinsed and drained)
- 1-quart vegetable broth (about 4 cups)
- 2-3 cups of water (enough to just cover everything in the pot)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (discard the water)
- 2 tsp cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- Parsely for garnish
- Put onions, celery, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, jackfruit, Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, bay leaf, vegetable broth, water, and rice into a slow cooker.
- Cover and turn on high, cook for 3 1/2 hours.
- After 3 1/2 hours, remove 1/2 cup of the broth and put into a small bowl.
- Add the cornstarch to the bowl, whisk to combine. Pour it back into the crockpot to thicken the sauce.
- Pour the coconut milk into the slow cooker, discard the water in the can. Stir to combine.
- Replace the lid and cook for 30 additional minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and black pepper.