It’s so simple to make, yet it’s so hearty and delicious Especially with sautéed shiitake mushrooms…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta (I used brown rice fusilli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces destemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- juice of ½ a small lemon, more to taste
- 5 to 6 kale leaves, sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- shaved macadamia nut and/or parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
miso cashew lemon cream:
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours or overnight*
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Make the miso cashew lemon cream sauce by blending together the cashews, water, miso paste, garlic, lemon juice and pinches of pepper in a high-speed blender until creamy. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions, or until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water before draining the pasta.
- While your pasta cooks heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and sauté, stirring only occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions and continue to cook another few minutes until the mushrooms are tender and browned.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, stir, and then add the kale. Cook until the kale is slightly wilted, add another squeeze of lemon juice, and stir.
- Add the pasta, toss again and drizzle with ½ the cream sauce. Season to taste with more salt, pepper and remaining cream sauce, as desired.
- If your sauce is too clumpy, stir in the reserved pasta water, as needed to create a creamy consistency.
- Serve hot garnished with shaved macadamia nuts, parmesan cheese and a pinch of red pepper flakes if desired.