This vegan crunchwrap is INSANE! You can stuff this bad boy with whatever you like – I made it with sofritas tofu and cashew queso…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
Spicy Sofritas Tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (press out some liquid first)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (add about 1 teaspoon salt if it’s unsalted)
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can dice green chiles (or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (add a pinch of salt if it’s unsalted)
- huge burrito-sized flour tortillas
- something crunchy: tostadas, tortilla chips or, dare I say, Doritos / Hot Cheetos (!!)
- roasted vegetables
- black beans
- fresh stuff: tomatoes, cabbage slaw, lettuce, cilantro
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add tofu and break apart into crumbles.
- Add taco seasoning, salt, chipotles, and salsa.
- Get it all going in the pan, nice and hot.
- Finish by letting everything sit without stirring for another 10+ minutes (adding oil to prevent sticking as needed) until you get some nice browned, almost-crunchy pieces.
- Blend everything together aggressively until smooth!
Crunch Wrap Time: Lay a large tortilla on a flat surface. Layer
- tofu, queso, crunchy stuff, and any other extras you want in there.
- Fold in the edges of the tortilla toward the center.
- Place in a hot oiled skillet, seam side down.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side until the exterior is firm, crunchy, and golden brown.
- Cut and serve!
- FOR REGULAR SIZE CRUNCHWRAPS: Keep your filling amounts minimal. It is very common to run into the issue of overflow, in which case, you can a) reduce filling amounts, b) fold it up as-is and hope for the best – I found even half-closed
crunchwrapsstill grilled up nicely, c) break your tostadas into smaller pieces to allow you more space, or d) make a MEGA CRUNCHWRAP. See next note.
- FOR MEGA CRUNCHWRAPS (this is what I demonstrated in the post): Cut a few of the large flour tortillas so they are the same size as your tostadas. Then, once you’ve layered all ingredients, just place a small flour cutout tortilla on top and fold edges over that. This should buy you a little extra space for filling.
- FOR MARINATED CABBAGE: I just tossed some thinly chopped cabbage with olive oil, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.