This recipe gives classic Green Bean Casserole a healthy makeover! No condensed soup and this is a vegan and gluten-free recipe…
Ingredients [ For 14 to 15 people ] [ Preparation time : 42 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or oil of choice for high heat)
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sliced white mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (natural soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons miso (optional)
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place your sliced onions on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with avocado oil and a little salt. Toss to coat.
- Roast the onions in the oven until they are browned and crisped to your liking, 25-35 minutes. Stir frequently during the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water. Add your green beans to the pot and boil 5 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are cooked down and the water is mostly evaporated about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Transfer 1½ cups of the mushroom mixture to a blender. Add the beans, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and miso. Blend until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Add the remaining mushrooms to the mixture.
- Mix together the green beans and mushroom mixture and put it in a 1½ quart casserole dish. Top with the onions.
- *Each of the three components can be done ahead of time. Assemble just before baking.*
- Reduce the heat in the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the casserole for 20 minutes (longer if you have prepared ahead of time and the ingredients are cold).
- Add the chopped almonds and bake an additional 5 minutes.