Slicing the cauliflower into steaks from the middle helps the head stay intact as you cut…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
1 large head cauliflower
6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided, plus more for the grill
1 bunch scallions, trimmed
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, grated
1 garlic clove
½ cup (packed) fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Gochugaru (Korean red pepper powder), toasted black sesame seeds, and sesame oil (for serving)
- Remove leaves and trim the stem of cauliflower, leaving core intact.
- Place cauliflower, core side down, on a work surface.
- Starting at the midline of the cauliflower, slice from top to bottom into four ½” “steaks” (reserve any florets that break loose).
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Drizzle cauliflower steaks, florets, and scallions with 4 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill scallions, turning occasionally until charred in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Grill cauliflower steaks until tender and charred in spots, 8–10 minutes per side.
- Grill any loose florets in a grill basket, tossing often until cooked through, 5–7 minutes.
- Blend ginger, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and remaining 2 Tbsp.
- Oil in a food processor, thinning with water if needed, until sauce is the consistency of yogurt; season with salt.
- Arrange cauliflower and scallions on a platter. Sprinkle with gochugaru and sesame seeds and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Serve with cilantro sauce alongside.