Mashed potatoes replace cream sauce and ground lentils replace lamb in a casserole that serves a crowd…
- 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (3 1/2 lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbs. dried oregano
- 2 15-oz. cans chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup green lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Cook potatoes and garlic in boiling salted water 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Drain, and reserve liquid. Mash with 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 cups cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbs. olive oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and oregano, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, and 3 cups potato cooking liquid.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon, and purée lentils in the food processor until chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant slices on paper-towel-lined baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse, and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Coat deep 13- the x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 1 1/2 cups lentil mixture into the bottom.
- Top with eggplant, followed by zucchini and tomatoes.
- Spoon 2 cups lentil mixture over top. Spread half of the potatoes over lentil mixture.
- Top with remaining eggplant, and lentil mixture.
- Spread remaining potatoes over top, making sure to cover completely.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours, or until top is browned.