This vegan paella with artichokes, smoked tofu, and sun-dried tomatoes feels like a vacation to Spain…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 7 oz smoked tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into medium pieces
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups cooked peas
- 10-15 black olives, cut into rings
- about 8 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, cut into strips
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio or risotto rice
- 3-5 cups vegetable broth depending on what kind of rice you use, adjust if needed
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon slices, to serve
- Heat some oil in a large pan and fry the smoked tofu cubes over medium heat until brown and crispy on all sides. Put aside.
- Heat some more oil in the same pan and sauté the onion and the garlic for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the red bell pepper and the zucchini and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook about 2-3 more minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika powder.
- Dissolve the saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm water and add to the patella.
- Add the vegetable broth (I recommend starting with 3 cups) and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. If necessary add more vegetable broth.
- Once the rice is tender, stir in the cooked peas, the sun-dried tomatoes, the olives, the smoked tofu, and the artichokes.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with lemon slices.