Vegan Pho soup! So amazingly delicious, healthy and a lot easier to make than you would think. Pho is comfort food at its finest, packed with fresh, healthy ingredients and tasty rice noodles…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 1 celery stalk (1 stick/rib), cut in pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut in pieces
- 6 white button mushrooms, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled and cut into pieces (+/- to taste)
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock *
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 Tablespoon San J Gluten Free Soy Sauce (reduced sodium)
- 1-inch piece Cinnamon Stick (+/- to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoons sea salt (+/- to taste)
- 1-star anise and 2 whole cloves (both are traditional ingredients), but we left them out as we are not fans.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot, add all the Pho Soup Base ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare and prep all your additional ingredients and add-in topping ingredients. Set aside.
- After the Pho Soup base has simmered for 20 minutes, remove from heat and strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Then rinse out your soup pot, rinse out the fine mesh sieve, and strain the broth again back into the soup pot. In other words, double strained through a fine mesh sieve.
- Discard the strained vegetables (or refrigerate and save for later).
- Place the soup stock base back onto the stove, taste test the broth for flavor. This pho soup base is very light. Add more seasoning, if desired.
- Increase the heat, and bring the soup broth back to a boil, then add the bok choy and cook for 4 minutes, then add the brown rice noodles, cook for 2 minutes, then add the micro-stick carrots, snow pea pods, and continue cooking until the brown rice noodles are tender, or as instructed by package directions. (Typically, brown rice noodles cook fast).
- To serve, ladle some soup broth, bok choy, carrots and snow pea pods into a bowl, top with any of the optional toppings. Enjoy!