These vegan potstickers are better than takeout with a tasty mushroom and veggie filling and homemade wonton wrappers to ensure that they’re vegan! Once you’ve mastered these bad boys, you’ll never order takeout again…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 25 vegan wonton wrappers (see note)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- Half an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (Asian mix or oyster or shiitake or white button)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water for steaming
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion and white parts of the green onions and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the carrot, cabbage, green parts of the green onion, salt, and pepper and fry, stirring, until the cabbage is soft but not limp – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sesame oil.
- Allow cooling on the counter or in the fridge.
- Once cool, assemble your potstickers. Place a small teaspoon of the filling in the center of a wonton wrapper.
- Wet the edges of the wrapper with water.
- Fold the wrapper over the filling and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Place them upright on a plate, being careful not to let them touch or else they will stick together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large pan.
- Add the potstickers and fry until browned on the bottom – 1 to 2 minutes.
- You may need to work in two batches if not all your potstickers fit in the pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium.
- Allow to steam until the tops are tender and the water has evaporated – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and flip the potstickers onto their sides to brown on each side (optional). Remove to a serving dish.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce and rice vinegar to make a dipping sauce and serve alongside the potstickers.