This delicious vegan quiche Lorraine has the perfect ‘cheesy’ and ‘buttery’ texture of the original French recipe without any dairy…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
For the quiche crust:
- 2 ¼ cups (~280g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (~120g) coconut oil, soft but not liquid
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ cup ice water
For the filling:
- 2 cups (~450g) spinach leaves
- 1 cup (~250g) sliced smoked tofu (cut it into small bits like you would use bacon in the original recipe)
- 1 large leek, sliced ( just the white part)
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella, shredded (homemade or store-bought)
- 1½ cups (~180g) chickpea flour
- 2¼ cups (~500ml) water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add coconut oil and pulse a few times until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add water, and mix until the dough comes together so you could easily shape it into a ball.
- Put your dough on a flour dusted surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it into a circle – the shape of your quiche pan.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Grease a quiche pan with some oil and add the dough evenly.
- Prick the bottom with a fork and bake blind for 15 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven and set it aside as you prepare the filling.
- In a skillet, heat some oil over medium heat and add the sliced leeks.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, add spinach leaves and saute for 3 minutes more. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour and water, whisk together until well combined.
- Add oil, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, nutmeg, turmeric, and thyme.
- Put the sauteed veggies, sliced tofu and half of the shredded vegan mozzarella into the baked quiche crust.
- Pour the chickpea mixture over. Top with the rest of shredded vegan mozzarella.
- Let it bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.