Making this Mediterranean favorite at home is quick and easy with this Simple Crispy Vegan Falafel recipe…
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp cilantro loosely packed and chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley loosely packed and chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp flour plus more for rolling out
- oil for frying
- Add chickpeas, onion, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until combined – you still want it to be chunky.
- Add cilantro, parsley, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper to the food processor and pulse until everything is combined – you want it to be slightly smoother, but still a little chunky.
- Sprinkle baking powder and flour over the mixture and pulse a final time.
- You want the mixture to form into a ball that is not too sticky.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle some flour on your hands and form the dough into 12 balls.
- Place them on the baking sheet and flatten into thick discs.
- Add an inch of oil to a pan and heat to 375 degrees.
- Working in batches, add falafel to the pan.
- Once browned on the bottom, flip and brown the other side.
- Place on a paper towel-lined plate and allow excess oil to drain.
- Repeat with remaining falafel.
- Serve in a sandwich, over a salad or individually with Tahini Dressing.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.