Thinly sliced tempeh simmered in a flavorful broth makes a great sandwich “meat” in this deli classic. Look for Follow Your Heart vegan cheese, which melts better than other brands…
- 1/4 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, sliced
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. relish
- 2 Tbs. ketchup
- 16 slices rye bread
- 5 oz. vegan Monterey Jack cheese, sliced
- 2 cups sauerkraut
To prepare Seasoned Tempeh:
- Combine liquid aminos, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and 2 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add tempeh slices, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cover, and let tempeh cool in broth.
To make Thousand Island Dressing:
- Stir together mayonnaise, relish, and ketchup in small bowl.
To make Sandwiches:
- Toast 8 slices bread. Set aside. Drain tempeh, and discard liquid, onion, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Place 3 slices tempeh on each slice of remaining bread.
- Top with cheese slices.
- Toast or broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Top each sandwich with 1/4 cup sauerkraut. Spread toasted bread slices with Thousand Island Dressing.
- Place tops on sandwiches, and slice in half.