A proper tabbouleh will be mainly vegetables and herbs, with just a smattering of bulgur threaded through…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 1 cup bulgur (not quick-cooking)
- ½ medium head green cabbage, cut into 1”-thick wedges, then very thinly sliced crosswise (about 4 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia), finely chopped
- 4 cups assorted small tomatoes, halved, quartered if large
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or ½ crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and add 1½ cups boiling water.
- Let soak until softened and water is absorbed, 40–45 minutes.
- Toss bulgur, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, mint, oil, lemon juice, and Aleppo pepper in a large bowl to combine; season with salt.
- DO AHEAD: Tabbouleh (without oil and lemon juice) can be made 4 hours ahead.
- Toss with oil and lemon juice just before serving.