These veggie pot pies with puff pastry crust are loading with good for … the entire dish with the puff pastry and bake until golden brown on top…
- 1 sheet frozen, store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Bring a large pot of cold, salted water to boil and cook potatoes for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside…
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute carrots and onion until tender. 8-10 minutes.
- During the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, add drained potatoes and garlic and cook until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, thyme and oregano.
- Transfer vegetables to a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in the Dutch oven and stir in flour to create a roux. Whisk continuously to remove lumps and cook for 2 minutes to cook the flour.
- Once smooth, whisk in vegetable broth and heavy cream and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper and ground mustard seed.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven and stir to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Take thawed puff pastry sheet, unfold it and gently press it into a large baking dish, making sure it comes up at least a little on all sides.
- Pour vegetables into puff pastry crust, place the baking dish in the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until set and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.