Are you in need of some comfort food, but don’t want to sacrifice healthy ingredients or all your SmartPoints? Good news….this Weight Watchers Baked Turkey and Pasta Casserole feels like comfort food but is really low in points…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
- 1 pound uncooked 99% lean ground turkey
- medium uncooked onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms thinly sliced–these can be fresh or from a can/jar
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 oz roasted red peppers packed in water, drained, chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 30 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ⁄2 cup basil fresh or dry, minced
- 12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta penne, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 ⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish or a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a skillet brown the turkey, onion, and mushroom. Make sure all the liquid has evaporated.
- While the meat is browning go ahead and cook the pasta according to the package directions and then drain and set aside.
- Now add the salt, garlic, red pepper flakes, roasted red peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and basil to the turkey and veggie mixture.
- Stir so that everything is combined
- Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes so flavors can blend really well.
- Now stir in cooked penne pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of the grated Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon the whole mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake until cheese is melted and the dish is heated through. Usually, it takes about 25 minutes.