Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole with shredded hash brown potatoes, broccoli, cheddar cheese, sausage, and eggs…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 12 oz Italian bread, do not use slices; use in loaf form
- 2 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), peeled and smashed (or to taste)
- 1 large uncooked red onion(s), cut into thin wedges
- 4 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, florets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz uncooked turkey sausage(s), sweet Italian-variety
- 1 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 3/4 cup(s) Weight Watchers Cheese, cheddar, shredded, low fat, sharp-variety
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Slice bread in half lengthwise; rub insides with garlic clove.
- Place bread, open-face, on one side of a baking sheet; spread onion on another side.
- Place broccoli on another baking sheet. Coat vegetables and bread with cooking spray.
- Bake until broccoli is tender, flipping bread over and stirring vegetables halfway through, about 15 to 20 minutes total.
- Remove pans from oven and cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Remove sausage from casing; cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and onion, bread cubes, broth, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Make sure to scrape up any browned bits of food on sides of the skillet and stir into mixture.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 3 cups broccoli mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining broccoli mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through about 30 minutes.
- Slice into 8 pieces and serve.
- Yields 1 piece per serving