To Make this Recipe You’Il Need the following ingredients…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 t.vanilla
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice & 1 t. grated lemon zest
- 3/4 c milk
- (add a couple drops of yellow good coloring, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. cornstarch
- 6 t. butter
- 3/4 c sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 c confectioners sugar
- 1 t. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. grated lemon zest
- (add a couple drops of yellow food coloring if desired)
- 2 tablespoons milk (f needed to thin frosting)
- chopped nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 inch round pans.
- Mix together the dry ingredients set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add lemon juice & zest to the milk
.Beatin the eggs one at a time, stir in vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with milk, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cooling in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Then invert onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make filling: In the medium saucepan, mix together 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth.
- Mix in 6 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and bring mixture to boil over medium heat.
- Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. In the small bowl, with a wire whisk, beat egg yolks until smooth.
- Whisk in a small amount of the hot lemon mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, beating the hot lemon mixture rapidly.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until thick (not to boil).
- Pour mixture into medium bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface to keep skin from forming as it cools.
- Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- To make frosting: In the large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until smooth, and increase speed and continue to beat until light and fluffy
.((add milk 1 tablespoon at a time to thin frosting if needed))
- To assemble: With the long serrated knife, split each cake layer in half horizontally, making 4 layers. Place 1 layer, cut side up, on a serving plate.
- Spread with half of the lemon filling. Top with another layer, and spread with 1/2 cup frosting.
- Add the third layer, and spread with remaining half of the lemon filling.
- Press on final cake layer, and frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Decorate sides of cake with nuts if desired. Refrigerate cake until serving time.