My favorite meatloaf recipe, healthy and delicious that can be varied all kinds of ways. Just 6 SmartPoints and works with Simply Filling/No Count Technique…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (7% or less)
- 1/2 cup quick cooking or old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 large egg whites (I use 1 whole egg instead)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup (plus more for brushing on top)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (not ground thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 teaspoon minced fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 4-1/2 x 8-1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer this mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the vegetables in the bowl and mix well. Press the meatloaf into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes. Brush additional ketchup on top of the loaf, if desired. Cook until done, an additional 30 to 45 minutes. (An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should read 160 F degrees.)
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 5 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.