The name says it all! It has a delicious sugar crackle topping that forms by pouring the boiling water over the top before baking. This is my favorite cobbler recipe…
- 2 -3 cups berries ( blueberries, blackberries, marionberries, or raspberries. I usually use a combo bag of frozen berries)
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup boiling water
- Spread berries in a greased 8-inch square pan.
- Cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. The batter will be thick.
- Spread batter over berries.
- Combine remaining sugar and cornstarch together then sprinkle evenly over batter. *NOTE* This is a juicy cobbler but if you want the berries and sauce to be thicker add an extra 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the remaining sugar.
- Pour boiling water overall. Do not mix.
- Bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the middle come out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. (Doubled recipe fits into a 9×13 pan, but must bake 20-30 mins longer than normal).