Pot roast made with tender braised beef short ribs all in the cast iron skillet…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 6-8 beef short ribs, preferably bone-in
- 2 onions, large chop
- 5-6 carrots, large chop (about 2 cups)
- 8 oz. mini golden potatoes, cut in half (or more if desired)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups organic beef stock (preferably low-sodium)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, cut in half
- kosher salt and black pepper as needed
- light olive oil as needed
- needed: 12″ cast-iron skillet
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season the short ribs heavily on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chopped onions, garlic, carrots, and potatoes in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until needed.
- Heat 3-counts of the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the short ribs on all sides until nice brown color forms, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and toss to combine in the pan juices.
- Add the tomato paste and cook while distributing the paste. Allow cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 to 3 cups of the stock until the vegetables and short ribs are just about (but not fully) submerged.
- Refer to pictures in the post. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Carefully cover the skillet with foil and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Peel back the foil and if desired, add in the mushrooms. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or until the beef is incredibly tender.
- If you have extra pan juices after everyone eats, save and freeze as it will make an excellent au jus for steak sandwiches, pork chops, and more.